January 30, 2009
"Expanding Their VisionNine Ways To Help Others Awaken to Consciousness
1. Living by your values allows you to become a positive source of inspiration for others. Don’t hide – express yourself and embrace life without reservation. By simply being yourself, you can help the people in your life see how one person can make a difference by being a living example of consciousness.
I often think of what impact I might of made with the Navaho students at Utopachi...it was wonderful hearing a voice from our past when Ang and I chatted over the ocean to Mary...
she had become a wonderful friend and colleague to us both...she said how there was a vacuum at the school with no more after school activities. We all had given so much to the program and inspired the students to act and play chess... I sense how many miss us despite the jealous teachers that did everything to inhibit and extinguish the growth in the children..
2. When you communicate your views, do so casually and in a nondogmatic manner. Allow the people you speak with to ask questions. Offer only as much information as they are ready to hear.
I suppose that was my biggest drawback in teaching... trying to eagerly to help them when I should have let them ask me for guidance...That is something that I still have to work on...to communicate my views in a less agressive way??
3. Igniting the spark of consciousness can be as easy as giving someone a gift. A favorite book, a medicine bag, or a beautiful gemstone can pique your loved ones’ curiosity and prompt them to begin an exploration of the soul.
I suppose that the drama club was my biggest gift to these students..It was wonderful to hear how our drama club was the talk of many students after we left! These students had a little spark of what it was like to act and improvise in front of a group of folks...I know that many of them will want to pursue acting!
4. Teaching a friend, relative, or colleague to meditate or chant can put them on the path to consciousness while simultaneously reducing their stress levels.
5. Others may want to know more about living consciously but are unsure of how to begin. Starting a discussion group – even a virtual one – can help you reach out to individuals that are eager to learn.
6. By recognizing and acknowledging the inherent value in everyone you encounter, you can teach them how to value others. Sometimes, the easiest way to encourage people – even challenging ones - to respect others is to respect them first.
7. Invite people from your personal and professional lives to join you in attending a ceremony or ritual. The experience may touch them in a profound way or introduce them to a new spiritual path.
8. Casually point out the interconnectedness of all living beings using concrete, everyday examples. Many people are unaware of how their actions affect the world and are intrigued when they learn of the power they hold.
9. Introduce your loved ones to conscious living in a lighthearted and enjoyable way. Serve delicious organic recipes at gatherings, volunteer as a group, and show them how wonderful it can feel to be truly aware and connected to the universe. "
It was so cool for my wife and I to chat with Mary, the social worker at our school...
She became a good friend over the last year...sometimes when we get a little homesick, it is so heartwarming to chat with warm friends!
I also chatted with my brother, Ron, and it warmed my cold feelings towards him...